When you have a lemon tree growing in your garden, you’ll often find that you have an oversupply of lemons that all ripen at the same time. While you can use lemons in many of your favorite dishes and make delicious baked goods with them, these little gems can also be used in a variety of other ways around your home.
You might or might not be aware, that lemons and lemon juice are ideal for many cleaning jobs around the home. Lemons also have excellent health properties and are particularly good for your hair and skin.
Here are 9 remarkable home uses for lemons that you might not be aware of.
1. Clean Your Stainless Steel Sink
Did you know that lemons can often replace many of the expensive cleaning products that you’re used to purchasing? You can give your stainless steel sink a new lease on life using this method:
- Making sure that the sink is damp, sprinkle some normal cooking salt all over the surface.
- Cut a lemon in half and use one half to rub the surface of the sink.
- Make sure that you get into all the corners and including around the drain hole.
- Rinse with water and your sink should be sparkling like new.
Similarly, if the drain in your kitchen sink is a bit on the nose, you can remove these offensive odors by using the juice of a lemon or two. What you want to do is pour the juice down the plughole and refrain from turning on the tap for around one hour.
Once the hour is up, pour some boiling water from the kettle down the plughole. Not only will this dislodge any build-up of grime, but it will also leave your kitchen smelling fresh and clean.
2. Give Your Microwave A Deep Clean
Forget those expensive microwave cleaners and use a lemon instead to give your microwave a really good clean. Here’s what to do:
- Fill a small microwave-safe bowl with around half a cup of water.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the water and drop the lemon skin into the water as well.
- Place the bowl into the microwave and cook for around 3 minutes or until the water is at boiling point.
- Let the bowl of water and lemon sit in the microwave with the door closed for around another 5 minutes.
- Take the bowl out of the microwave and wipe down all the surfaces with a damp sponge. All the baked-on food should just wipe away.
3. Freshen Up Your Plastic Food Storage Containers
Some plastic containers have a tendency to absorb food odors and stains and become discolored over time. You can easily freshen up these containers by rubbing them all over with half a lemon.
This will not only remove the discoloration and odors but will also give the containers a nice, fresh lemony scent.
4. Make Your Own Bathroom Cleanser
Forget those toxic and expensive mold removers and bathroom cleansers. Here’s what to do instead:
- Mix the juice of one lemon with a quarter of a cup of baking powder or baking soda.
- Apply this mixture to around your taps, the drain holes, and the grouting between your tiles with an old toothbrush. Scrub in a circular motion.
- Rinse off the solution and all the mold should be gone.
You can similarly shine up your bathroom taps and fittings by rubbing half a lemon over them. This will effectively remove any soap scum and make your taps sparkle like new.
5. Make Your Own Lemony Spray Cleaner
Make your own all-purpose spray cleaner using lemons and vinegar. With this method, you’ll never have to spend money on expensive cleaning products again. Here’s what to do:
- Fill a spray bottle with half white vinegar and half water.
- Add the rind from one lemon.
- Shake the bottle to combine.
- Let the mixture infuse for around 1 week.
You can use this cleaner for a variety of different cleaning tasks around your home. Just avoid using it on granite bench tops because the acid may etch the stone.
6. Make Your Own Lemon And Lavender Candles
If you’re just a little crafty, here’s a great idea to make your own candles that have a gorgeous lemon and lavender scent. And, you use the lemons as a votive for your candles.
All you need is some microwaveable candle wax (1 cup), lavender essential oil, some dried lavender leaves from the garden, 2 lemons and 4 candle wicks.
Here’s how to make the candles:
- Cut the lemons in half length-ways and remove the pulp. You can freeze this in ice cube trays and add the cubes to your gin and tonic.
- Put the candle wax into a mason jar and microwave for around 2 minutes until it’s dissolved.
- Add the lavender oil and dried lavender to the candle wax.
- Hold the candle wick in the center of each lemon half and pour in the melted candle wax.
- Let the wax cool and set and your candles are ready to burn.
If you want a more refreshing and revitalizing candle, try using rosemary essential oil and dried rosemary leaves instead of lavender.
7. Create Your Own Air Freshener
Artificial air fresheners can contain harmful chemicals that are especially bad for people who suffer from asthma or hay fever. But, don’t worry. You can make your own natural air freshener using lemons, vanilla extract, and sprigs of rosemary.
All you have to do is fill a one-pint mason jar with slices of lemon, a few sprigs of rosemary, and a few drops of vanilla extract. Then fill the jar with water.
To fully release the fragrance, you’ll have to warm the solution. You can do this on the stovetop on low heat or use something like a mug or candle warmer.
8. Keep Your Chopping Board Clean And Hygienic
Wooden chopping boards are notorious for absorbing odors and food stains. You can quickly clean your chopping board by rubbing it with a cut lemon.
9. Make Your Skin Glow
Rub a cut lemon all over your face and then rinse off with cold water. The properties in lemons are helpful in cleansing and hydrating your skin and they can even remove blackheads.
Similarly, you can have a daily detox by drinking some lemon water every morning just after you wake up. Put 2 slices of lemon into a glass of warm water and drink. You’ll feel great after doing this for a week.
When you have a lemon tree growing in your yard, you’ll never have to buy household cleaners again. Lemons can be used in so many ways around the home plus they make a great tonic for keeping your body healthy and full of vitality.