While banana oil is available commercially, many people prefer to make their own at home because the process is fairly simple. We give you a simple recipe at the end of this article.
Banana oil can be very beneficial for both healthy hair and glowing skin. It has both moisturizing and possible anti-aging properties. It is also said to be very beneficial to your immune system. Plus, it has a variety of other benefits.
Here are 9 benefits of using homemade banana oil.
1. Banana Oil Can Help To Add Moisture To Dry Skin
When your skin has been exposed to harsh elements such as sun, wind, and surf, it can lose a lot of its natural oils and become quite dry. By applying banana oil to dry skin on a regular basis, you will moisturize the skin and give it back its vitality. Additionally, banana oil also helps to restore the skin’s natural pH levels.
2. Banana Oil Has Anti-aging Properties
Banana oil has the ability to encourage the stimulation of collagen. Collagen production slows down as we age and this reduces the elasticity of our skin. Being rich in antioxidants means that banana oil is able to boost the elasticity of the skin and tighten the skin cells.
By applying banana oil to aging skin, you are able to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines.
3. Banana Oil Can Help To Reduce Scaring And Blemishes
Massaging banana oil into the skin can help to increase blood flow. This can be particularly useful when it comes to healing any scars that you may have and even blemishes on the skin.
4. Banana Oil Can Help Boost Your Immune System
We all know that bananas are a nutritional powerhouse and concentrated banana oil is no different. The oil contains lots of Vitamin C as well as a variety of antioxidant properties. These can be beneficial in protecting the skin from infections and even airborne pathogens.
Additionally, banana oil is absorbed into your body through the skin and this can help stimulate your immune system to fight both viral and bacterial infections.
5. Banana Oil Can Help To Prevent Dandruff
Dandruff is often the result of a dry and irritated scalp. Using banana oil can be helpful in keeping the scalp moisturized and free from irritation. Therefore, if you struggle with the problem of dandruff, it could be worth massaging a small amount of banana oil into your dry scalp to keep it hydrated.
6. Banana Oil Can Keep Hair Healthy
If you suffer from dry, frizzy hair and split ends, you may benefit from using banana oil. It can help to strengthen the hair and infuse it with nutrients that are important for healthy, shining hair.
It is even believed that the properties in banana oil can help to minimize hair loss by strengthening the hair and keeping it healthy.
See another solution to frizzy hair here, using hand lotion no less!
7. Banana Oil May Help To Control Oily Hair And Skin
Excessive oil production can be the result of your body’s overreaction to dryness. Quite often, people with oily skin will use products designed to dry out the skin but this only exacerbates the problem.
Using banana oil on oily hair and skin can help to stabilize the oil levels in your skin and scalp. It can also assist with clearing blockages in the skin that can lead to more oil production.
8. Banana Oil Can Be Used As A Disinfectant In The Home
Because banana oil has antimicrobial properties, it can be used to disinfect surfaces within the home.
9. Banana Oil Can Assist With Wound Healing
Thanks to its exceptional properties, banana oil can help with wound healing.
How To Make Banana Oil At Home
To make your own banana oil at home, all you need are some banana peels, some almond or olive oil and a mason jar. Here’s a foolproof recipe to try:
- The skins of 4 bananas
- 4 tablespoons of almond or olive oil
- Chop the banana skins into smaller pieces.
- Place these pieces into a plastic bag and mash them to soften them.
- Put the peels into a mason jar.
- Add the oil.
- Place the lid on the jar and put this in a sunny spot for around 2 to 3 days.
- Check on the jar periodically and give it a good shake (several times daily if possible).
- After around 3 days, strain the oil to remove the banana peels.
- Keep your banana oil in a dark, cool spot and use as required.
Things To Be Aware Of
While banana oil is relatively safe, there are a few precautions that you should be aware of.
- Banana oil is for external use only and should not be consumed.
- Use banana oil only in moderation as excessive use could result in skin inflammation and irritation.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does homemade banana oil last?
If you store it correctly, banana oil can last for around 3 to 4 years. Ensure that you always keep the jar sealed when not in use.
What part of the banana is used to make banana oil?
Banana oil is made from the skins of the banana, not the flesh of the fruit.
Does banana oil smell good?
Yes, like the fruit itself, banana oil has a pleasant, sweet fruity smell. It’s a common ingredient in perfumes and other scented products to add a light, natural fragrance.