Chopsticks are a popular eating utensil in many parts of the world. They can be used to eat rice, noodles, and other delicacies.
Learning to use chopsticks can seem daunting, but it is very easy!
I will give you seven simple steps to help you become a chopstick master!
7 Steps to Chopstick Mastery
- Firstly, you’ll need to position one of the chopsticks in between your thumb and index finger. Make sure you’re relaxed, and the bottom of the chopstick is at the base of your thumb.
- Now position the chopstick on your ring finger, halfway to two-thirds down the chopstick, remembering to stay relaxed. The first chopstick should now be in the ideal position, securely in place.
- Onto the second chopstick, simply hold this chopstick as if you were holding a pen or pencil. Ensure the chopstick is resting on the end of your thumb and is supported by your middle finger, that’s what keeps it in place.
- That’s the hard bit done! Using your index finger and middle finger, begin moving the tip of the top chopstick up and down, ensuring the supporting chopstick stays still.
- Are you getting the hang of it? Excellent. If you need some help visualizing, pretend you’re pinching something and keep practicing but make sure the tips of each chopstick are meeting each other.
- It’s time to pick up some food! I’d always recommend starting with larger chunks of food, as you become used to using chopsticks, you can move on to picking up grains of rice with ease.
- Lastly, practice, practice, practice!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What are 3 things you should not do with chopsticks while eating?
There are 3 essential don’ts when it comes to using chopsticks, they are:
- Do not lick your chopsticks.
- Do not stick your chopsticks into food.
- Do not wave your chopsticks around.
Why do we rub chopsticks together?
We rub chopsticks together to get rid of any splinters that may be on them. We also want to make sure the chopsticks are clean before we use them.
Is it rude to lick your chopsticks?
Yes, it is considered rude to lick your chopsticks. When you lick your chopsticks, you are putting them in your mouth, and this is considered unsanitary.
Why is it rude to pass food with chopsticks?
When you pass food with chopsticks, you are passing the food from your chopsticks to someone else’s chopsticks. This is considered very rude for hygienic reasons.
I hope these seven steps have helped you understand how to use chopsticks. Just remember to practice and you’ll be a chopstick master in no time! Thanks for reading.