Trying to keep your energy bill down this summer? Oh let me count the ways….
1) Check out prices online for high efficiency Compact Florescent Bulbs (CFLs) as they are often radically cheaper online than around town, as states go through stretches of subsidizing them immensly, they are always free or near free somewhere in the country, and you can bet people in those states are eBaying them. This is a cheap way to lower your bills and your footprint, just do it already.
2) Turn your water heater off at night, and on when you start the coffee pot in the morning. Keeping all that unused water heated overnight is standard wastefulness. Cutting 8 hours of water heating a day can save up to 10% on your electricity bill by itself!
3) Ride your bike. Many people don’t often think of it this way, but using your car is part of your energy bill. Gas prices are looking to skyrocket this summer to record highs so think of ways to get around town on two wheels, or walk!
4) Use electronics to keep the house warm. Many electronics such as computers, monitors and televisions actually put out remarkable amounts of heat, especially older models. If you can heat the den with TV and computer excess heat, close off the vent in that room and put that heat to work in other areas of your house.
5) Adjust to your climate. If you’re trying to cool a room this summer, keep the curtains lightly colored to reflect most of the heat energy back outside. Keep putting your brain to work to think about efficiency and how to maximize it. The cheapest move away from fossil fuels is efficiency.
Published in: Personal Finance