Stop the Mop to Keep E-Coli and Staph Away

Stopping mopping keeps your family healthier, especially for those with allergies.

Image via Wikipedia

Allergies Suck:

Although many are very aware of their allergies and stay away from their specific reaction catalysts, most of us have minor symptoms of allergic reaction without knowing the cause. We just feel “under the weather”.

Breeding Bacteria

Mops and sponges are the worst breeders of bacteria and mold because they stay somewhat damp between uses.

E-Coli, as you know,  is found in feces. Mop your restroom floor and then spread the poopy goodness to the kitchen floor on cleaning day. Every time

Staph bacteria comes from humans. I remember “Staph is in your Staff” from Food Sanitation for Managers class. Staph can cause food poisoning symptoms (vomiting and diarrhea). Often, if you get sick from a restaurant, Staph is the bacteria you’ve ingested that causes the sickness.

I am unsure if this bateria lives well outside of the human body, therefore I cannot be sure if you can spread it from the floors. I wouldn’t want to take my chances with this bacteria though.

Mold

What should you do with the mop after cleaning day?

1) Store it head down in the water bucket?  

2) Store it head up and lean it against the wall?

3) Throw it out? (Like Swiffer)

Both 2 and 3 are correct. If you wish to keep your old-school mop, rinse it in bleach water before storing. Fan any fabric mop heads over the side of the dry bucket. The idea is to quickly dry the mop before bacteria can grow.

I Use Sponges.

I wipe up my kitchen floor as I spill on it. By the end of the week, I have “mopped” the entire floor. I have laminate in my kitchen, therefore I use sanitizer spray and a designated color sponge. “Orange for floors” in my house. “Green” is for dishes And “Blue” is for counter tops. Designating your colors is important to avoid cross-contamination to your dishwater or countertops.

To Clean Sponges:

Many people like paper towels in lieu of sponges and dish rags because they are cleaner due to the fact they are thrown away immediately. I find they are a waste of money and taxing to our environment.

Set up a bucket with Bleach and Hot Water. Just a capful of bleach for a 2 gallon bucket. Too little is better than too much. Too much bleach can poison your family if used on dishes or countertops where the kids set their PB and J’s without a plate underneath. The bleach will kill mold and bacteria. Do this ATLEAST weekly. I do mine twice a week…Sundays and Wednesdays while I do the laundry.

Let the sponges soak in the “bleach bucket” until the water gets cold and then rinse each sponge out and set them on a rack to dry, top and bottom.

Sum it Up:

Throw out your mop unless you are willing to use the “sponge-bleach method” after every use. Sponges are just easier to work with.

Mopping is fine, I guess, as long as you do your kitchen first, foyer next, and then your restroom. Mopping in this order, there is less chance of distributing the very harmful bateria.

Swiffer mops are great as long as you do the rooms in order as described above and you discard the disposable mop-head after each use.

Commit to cleanliness and your families health =)

4
Liked it

Published in: Homemaking

Tags:

RSSComments: 3  |  Post a Comment
  1. Color coding the spounge is a great idea. I hate mops, but I am such a clean freak because of my daughters weak immunity. So, what I do is buy the rope mops from the dollar store. They are inexpensive enough to just use one time, and then throw away.

    Btw: I had to go look these two articles up for you. If you have time look at them. I think you would enjoy them.

    http://www.gomestic.com/Homemaking/Tips-to-Have-a-Healthy-Bedroom.246081

    http://www.gomestic.com/Home-Improvement/Tips-to-Have-a-Healthy-Bathroom.241283

  2. Thanks Jo! I’ll check em out!

  3. Great tips, my friend, I’ll bookmark it, thanks!

RSSPost a Comment
comments powered by Disqus
-->