If you have roaches, you know how difficult they can be to eliminate from your own. Here are six ways to control roaches.
It can be a bit distressing to see a giant roach crawling on your kitchen counter when you come downstairs for a midnight snack. Not only are roaches a nuisance, they’re also a bit intimidating.
What can you do to help keep your home roach free? Unfortunately, roaches tend to be touch and hard bugs which makes them difficult to eradicate once they’ve entered your home. Here are some tips on how to control and eliminate roaches:
- Give your home a professional steam cleaning to eliminate roaches. Steam can be sprayed into openings where roaches enter and leave your home which should kill any lurking roaches.
- Buy some roach traps. These are boxes filled with a residue that allows the roach to stick to the residue permanently so that he can’t escape. These work well if you have a small population of roaches in your home but won’t control a large roach population.
- Try mixing a little boric acid with brown sugar and place it on an elevated surface. Roaches have a preference for high places. Plus, you don’t want your pets to ingest the borax.
- Fill small sachet bags with catnip and leave them at sites where roaches congregate. Catnip acts as a natural roach repellent and isn’t toxic to pets or humans.
- Keep a bottle of soapy water handy. If you spot a roach, spray it with the contents of your bottle. Soapy water will kill roaches in a matter of minutes.
- Another natural roach repellent is an equal mixture of tea tree oil and citronella oil.
If these methods aren’t effective in controlling and eliminating your roaches, you may need the help of a professional exterminator. This should be your last resort since professional strength pesticides and insecticides can be toxic to animals and humans. The natural method of roach elimination is best.
Published in: Homemaking