Besides keeping your teeth and gums healthy, here are 30 other uses for dental floss.
- Hang things : Dental floss is made of durable and strong material. Instead of using wire or string, you can use dental floss to hang picture frames, wind chimes and so on.
- D.I.Y. clothes line : If you are on vacation or if you are at a camping site, you can make you own makeshift clothes line to hang wet clothes using dental floss.
- Cut food into thin slices or pieces : Just wrap around your finger with dental floss and wrap the other end of the floss around your finger on your other hand. You can cut through cakes, cheese and also hard:boiled egg to slice them into thin or small pieces, cleaner and neater than using knife.
- Cut food which has delicate texture : It is difficult to cut food like jelly and soft cheese. You can use dental floss to make a clean cut for such food.
- Patch holes : You can sew up holes on your swimsuit by sewing up back and forth over the holes until the holes are covered with the dental floss patch. If possible, find the dental floss that has the same colour as the material of your swimsuit.
- Sew buttons, hooks, etc. : Use dental floss the same way you use thread to sew buttons, hooks, etc on your clothes.
- Separate photographs : Slide the dental floss underneath the corner of a photograph that is stuck to another photograph or the page of an album and work through across the surfaces to separate them without damaging the photographs.
- Lift off food from baking tray : Slide through a strand of dental floss between the cookies or the pastries and the baking tray, and you will be able to lift off the food without damaging them.
- Tie up packages : Use dental floss instead of strings to tie up small packages to secure the lid.
- D.I.Y. fishing rod : In case you break your fishing line, you can use dental floss to replace it.
- Remove tight ring from finger : Wrap waxed dental floss from the tip of your finger until you reach the ring. Slide the ring over the waxed floss and you will be able to remove it easily.
- Repair umbrella : You can fix your umbrella by using dental floss to secure the loose fabric to the umbrella ribs by sewing them up neatly.
- Give support to climbing plants : You can tie up vine plants to a stick using dental floss to support them.
- Fix loose parts : You can fix loose hose attached to the tap by wrapping it up with dental floss. Tie up the floss tightly to secure the hose.
- Repair outdoor equipment : Since dental floss is made of a strong, durable material, you can use it to fix outdoor equipment like tent, windbreaker, backpack, etc. Use floss to patch up holes, sew the torn seams and secure loose hooks attached to your outdoor gear.
- String beaded fashion accessories : Instead of using normal thread, use dental floss to string beads to make necklaces and bracelets. You can also use floss to repair and restring your jewelery and pearls.
- Cooking aid : Unwaxed dental floss can also be used to truss poultry or to tie up rolled pieces of meat or bacon in cooking.
- String garland : Dental floss is also good for making flower garlands.
- Seal gaps : Sometimes when you remove the nail or screw on the wall, it will leave small gaps on the wall. Wind dental floss and roll it in some glue and fill up the gaps with the fiber. Cover it up with some paint.
- Repair wood : You can also repair wood cracks by using a length of stretched dental floss which is rolled in some glue. Work into the wood by sliding it through the fissure and you will be able to fill the slit with the adhesive.
- Clean in between cracks of furniture : You can floss in between the cracks of your furniture to remove dirt.
- Clean crevices between tools : You can also floss the crevices in between tools to remove dirt.
- Emergency shoe lace : Use dental floss to temporarily replace your broken shoe lace.
- Prison break? : I bet you have heard of this. There were cases where prisoners had escaped by using dental floss to cut through steel and in a separate case, a prisoner climbed down the prison wall using dental floss woven into long rope (Don’t ever try these at home!).
- Chew toy for pets : Dental floss tied up together in the shape of bone had been made as chew toy for dogs. This is also beneficial for the pet as it can remove its plague and tartar.
- Emergency medical uses : In emergency cases, dental floss had been used to tie up severed arteries as a result of a freak accident and to tie up umbilical cord in an emergency delivery.
- Repair shoes : You can replace worn stitches on your shoes by stitching through the shoes using dental floss.
- Tie hair : If you are out of hair band, you can use dental floss to tie up your hair.
- Make a small net : Dental floss can be threaded into small nets to catch small fish in the river.
- Hang Christmas decorations : You can use dental floss to hang up your Christmas decorations and ornaments on the Christmas tree.
Read more in Homemaking
Published in: Homemaking
comments powered by Disqus