Cottage cheese also known as "Paneer" can be easily prepared at home, since it is not always available in some parts of the world.
Cottage Cheese is a milk derivative full of milk protein and calcium. It is most commonly used in Indian cuisine. It does not have any particular taste as such, but acquires the taste of any curry or spice easily.
This recipe makes around 180-200 g of cottage cheese.
2 liter fresh milk
1. In a large sauce pan bring the milk to boil while stirring occasionally with a wooden ladle.
2. Lower the heat and add the juice of two lemons, keep stirring.
3. The milk will start to curdle leaving a greenish whey, bring to boil again and turn off the heat.
4. Let the curdled milk cool.
5. Pass entire curdled milk and whey through a sieve with a cheese cloth spread over it.
6. Drain thoroughly and pack the cheese over the white residue. Press and keep a heavy pan filled with water over it, to let the whey drain out and compressing the cheese.
7. Compress for 4-5 hours and refrigerate in an air tight container.
8. The cottage cheese can be cut into bite sized pieces and frozen too. Use as required.
Published in: Home