What mold is, symptoms of mold damage in the home, health hazards, preventions and remedies.
Mold is a type of fungus. It has been on Planet Earth for several millennium. It is a very hardy organism, as evidenced by the fact of how long it has survived-and thrived. Mold is everywhere. It travels through the air as minute particles called spores that can only be seen under a microscope. It can survive on any organic surface. All it needs to grow is air and water. Mold literally consumes whatever it attaches itself to, cheese or bread for instance. It is an important part of our ecosystem, however, because it causes the decay of whatever it grows on. This is good because the rotting of a log, for example, will put nutrients back into the earth as it decomposes.
Mold can be introduced into the home in a myriad of ways: on pets and clothing, through open doors and windows, through air-conditioning ducts and on peoples’ bodies and hair, to name a few. Once mold has begun growing it will announce its presence in various ways. There will be mold that is visible, of course. Mold grows in a wide spectrum of colors, including brown, green, gray, black and wide.
Mold can be, at the least, a nuisance for human beings. In the worst case, it can cause death. Once mold enters a home, it naturally begins to flourish in places that are in the areas of the home most often left wet and humid, such as the shower and toilet. This type of mold is fairly easy to remove with some type of disinfecting cleanser. One good type of cleanser is chlorine bleach, because it disinfects the area, as well as just removing the unsightliness of the fungus. It is important to remove every trace of any mold or mildew found in the home because contact with some varieties can be harmful to humans’ health, and in some instances, even fatal.
Mold is one of the many allergens that cause an unlucky number of people to exhibit many different symptoms of allergic reactions, including sneezing, runny noses, itching, watery eyes, and painful, itching hives, just to cite a few examples. For asthma sufferers, mold can be especially dangerous, because the lungs can be a prime breeding area for bacterial, viral, and fungal infections. There are more dangerous varieties of mold that emit toxins, which, if ingested (whether by inhalation, oral consumption, or entrance through a wound or injury) can kill someone. Exposure to these deadly organisms can ultimately cause various lung diseases, brain damage, and even death.
Published in: Home Improvement