Though you can use your home as your office very easily, you have a number of advantages as well as disadvantages in it.Only after weighing them carefully, you have to take a decision whether you can use your home as your office.
Pros and Cons of using your home as office than renting a small space
The easiest way of finding a space for your office is using your home as office, than renting a small space. However, there are some pros and cons in it as follows:
Pros of using your home as office:
- First of all you never get tired of searching for your space nor you spend any time for it nor do you engage any agent.
- You are not spending even a single paisa or penny in searching a space nor do you spend anything for the agent.
- You do not pay any huge sum towards advance nor do you pay any monthly rental charges to a land lord for using my home as office.
- You are not entering into any lease or rental agreement with a land lord nor do you have any legal obligation to comply with nor do you have to issue a legal notice before vacating my office.
- You are free to use you house as your office according to your whims and fancies since you are not under any legal obligation to follow while utilizing your home as office.
- You have no specific office hours for your office and you may utilize it to work even during the night hours according to your mood without unduly worrying about the electricity bill. In fact you do not pay any separate electricity bill for your office.
- Though you utilize only a portion of your house as your office, you are keeping your office files, case bundles etc within the premises of your home safely.
- Besides, since you have your office located in your home, most of your clients or customers are known to your family members also. Hence, if any client visits your home office when you are away from your home, your family members help you to identify the client. They even attend to the queries of your client and provide you the details about the client when you return back home.
- You can have your name board exhibited at the front of your office and the address of your home and office is one and same.
- You utilize your residential telephone connection for your office as well and you can utilize the broadband connection of your home for your office as well. Hence, you need to have no separate telephone or broadband connection for your office.
- You can successfully run your office at your home for years together without any harassment from any land lord for getting evicted nor do you have to pay any enhanced rent or advance for your prolonged stay.
Cons of using my home as office:
- You may lack privacy in your home office. Whenever, your client or customer feel embarrassed to discuss his personal problems at your home office, You may have to go with your client away from your home either to a hotel or some other safety place so as to keep your client at ease and relaxed.
- In fact the lack of privacy at your home office may cost you a number of clients or customers.
- You do not have a compartmentalization for your office work from your home work. Though you prefer to give more importance and preference to your office work, practically it is not possible since do not enjoy your family support since they consider and treat both your office work and your personal works at home on an equal footing.
- Since your family has a watch over your clients, they also know how much you earn from your profession. In fact, you cannot burke anything as to the source of your income.
- The most disturbing factor is your family interferes with your profession at your home office. Whenever you attend any sensational case or discuss with your client, it is being noticed by your family. At times out of curiosity they even enquire about the case and about the fate of your client. When you lose a case of your client, you have to face the wrath of your client and the derisive comments from your family members.
- The scope of furnishing or extending your office premises is very limited since it has its bearing on your family.
- You have lesser number of clients since you have your home office located in the interior area of the town and you have no floating clients at all. In fact, those floating clients are seeking and availing the professional services from a person whose office is located in a prominent place, such as nearby bus stand or nearby the court.
Therefore, considering the pros and cons of having an office at your home and depending upon the main criterion of earning more income and other factors as well, you have to take a wise decision of either locating your office at your own home or renting separate premises for your office..
Published in: Home Business