It is not so easy to do gardening during winter and fall season. You have to pick plants and flowers carefully before planning a landscape.
Fall Season is the perfect time for gardening and making changes to your home. This not only helps you during the extreme winter but you get to rip the benefits of the hard-work during summer. Though landscaping is very attractive during this period there are some things you need to know before investing time and money. Some of the seasonal plants and the grass needs to be taken care of before the fall and you can’t include them in winter season.
Starting from the month of September here are some of the things you should do to improve garden and overall landscape design.
During winter season, some of the plants are best to keep indoors. You have to make sure that these plants are pest-free or else you’re going to have pest issue inside the house. You can read more information on how to grow vegetables indoors.
- Make sure you take care of the lightening for plants inside the house.
- Winter has it’s moisture in the air and you have to reduce the water usage during this period. You can however give water to plants by checking the soil.
- Some of the plants which are visually appealing are likely to lose leaf during winter season. Don’t put these type of plants in front decoration area.
- Take care of composting needs of the plants as per seasonal requirement.
In case of outdoor plants you have too many things to do and unless you spend some dedicated time in the garden, you’ll hardly manage the landscape design of your garden and house in turn.
- Make sure you plant the new trees and shrubs six weeks before the frost.
- Keep watering your plants until snow starts or temperature is reduced to expected winter climate in your area.
- Try to plan the evergreen trees and shrubs that can stand cold ( snow if applicable) in your area.
- Seasonal plants often lose their leafs and often affect the landscape design. Try to put the seasonal plants in the back and keep the evergreen plants in front side of the garden.
- Cutting down on lawn grass before winter makes sense.
- Make a list of plants that require less water and plant them during winter season.
Ideas for Winter Landscape
Some of the ideas for winter plants in your garden.
- Try to plant trees which can hold the snow in it’s branches, they make attractive garden.
- Trees with branches are often preferred by birds. Pick trees or plants that has some random or some specific pattern.
- Plants with evergreen foliage.
Some of the Plants to plant during Winter -
- Christmas Holly Shrubs
- Plume Grass
- Birch Trees
- Viking Black Chokeberry
- Yew Shrubs
Published in: Gardening