Wondering what is the violent video games effect on children? This article will give you information on the negative and psychological effects of violent games on children. Read on…
It is not an uncommon sight in most households when the child/ teen spends more than 2-3 hours everyday playing the Call of duty or Counter strike. Video games have been in the market since many decades and have been popular since then because of the entertainment that they offer. Most of the video games are established on violence based topics which raises the question on what is the violent video games effect on children? Violent video games definitely have negative effect on children as well mas adults users.
Negative Effects of Violent Video Games
One of the major difference between watching a violent movie and playing a violence based video game is that while watching the movie, we simply watch it as passive viewers. On the other hand, in case of video games, we are actual participants in the game which makes us more involved in it. Therefore, the effect of video games is a lot severe than that of movies. So, what is the actual violent video games effect on children?
- Psychological studies and observations have observed that when children are exposed to violence of any form, they too tend to get aggressive. Although this is a short term aggression, it definitely affects the child’s personality and can lead to short temper and irritation. The child may also sometimes show the same violence and aggression in real life situations, which can be dangerous.
- Secondly, one of the most severe effects of violent video games on children is that the games are addictive and they tend to keep children engaged for a longer period. Many parents must have observed that their child becomes restless if he/ she does not play the specific game for the specific time every day. This can affect the child’s mental stability and make him dependent on the game.
- If you take a look at any of these violent games, you will observe that the points are rewarded on the basis of violence which is very harmful according to the psychological point of view. According to psychology, a child learns through the reward theory and if he observes that violence and destruction is gaining him rewards, he may tend to follow it in real life. Therefore, the psychological effects of violent video games on children are the most harmful ones and can even be long lasting if not curtailed at the right moment.
- One of the other violent video games effect on children is that the artificial and imaginary world of these games also takes children away from reality. Most children are not mature enough to understand the difference between the imaginary and the real world. These children when faced with real life problems may react abnormally or in socially unacceptable manner.
- As a continuation of the above point, we can also say that inability to solve problems is also one of the harmful effects of video games. Through these games, children observe that problem solving is nothing but getting rid of the source of the problem which is not always possible in real life. At the same time problem solving is a thoughtful process and not an instinctual one.
- Lastly, the video game violence may also affect attention, concentration, academics, etc. of the child. The personality of the child may also be affected as the child may avoid social life, preferring to be alone. Spending large amount of time playing games and losing mental stability may also affect his studies.
I hope with this information you must have obtained a clear picture about the violent video games effect on children.
Published in: Family