As all new parents don’t have a manual on how to take care of their children, sometimes they are at a loss about what to do with a child. Here are some surefire ways to entertain a toddler.
Entertaining a child who cannot quite talk is sometimes a formidable task for new parents, most especially when toddlers are tired and a bit picky. Here are some surefire ways to entertain a toddler that kindergarten teachers do in school.
1) Water play – Bring out the hose and spray. A garden sprinkler propped up on the yard is simply irresistible. A toddler will love going in and out of the spray of water and will squeal and laugh with joy.
2) Finger play – Put faces on your finger and make them talk or for the more sophisticated toddler a finger puppet will do. Playing with one’s finger not only entertains but helps children exercise their fine motor skills.
3) Read a favorite book- Books are always a welcome respite especially on a busy day. Toddlers will be soothed by the cadence of your voice. Do not worry about the story or even if they do not seem to listen. Your warm lap and cuddle time is what the child is enjoying. Love for literature will certainly follow.
4) Bring out the blocks or any building materials – Toddlers love to build with anything – blocks, plastic bottles, simple lego pieces. Remember that anything you seem interested in will entice your child to play.
5) Blow Bubbles – A bit of liquid detergent on a shallow tray and a bent shaped wire in the form of a loop will provide your child with hours of pleasure. You’d be surprised how many times children get so excited with bubbles. They’ll never tire of it.
6) Play dough – Feeling the texture of play dough and making something is exciting for any child. Play dough is a sensual experience that helps the child get in touch with his environment.
7) Balls – Rolling, throwing, kicking a ball. As a kindergarten teacher, I am often surprised at how many children aged 5 and below actually don’t know how to throw or kick a ball properly. Don’t forget the simple pleasures of life. These children will love you for it.
Dance – Dance, twirl, kick up a storm. Toddlers won’t mind you being silly. In fact the sillier the better. Toddlers are not judgmental and will never tell you, you can’t dance. Dancing is good therapy for both of you.
9) Sing – If they won’t tell you you can’t dance, they won’t tell you, you can’t sing either. Belt out your blues and turn them into joy. Your toddlers will soon be doing a duet!
10) Give them you time- Whatever you choose to do, do it with them. They will give you so much more than you can ever give them. Your time will be rewarded a hundredfold!
Published in: Family