Outlining the similarities between Indigo Children, or "Starseeds". and Asperger’s Syndrome, while giving parents advice.
Many people within the New Age movement believe that they, or their child, is what they refer to as an “Indigo Child” or a “Starseed.” There are different theories surrounding these two terms, but depending on who you ask, they are one and the same. Indigos/starseeds are supposedly people who’s soul has incarnated in a human body for some higher purpose of helping to raise the consciousness of Earth. Those who subscribe to the Indigo school of thought believe that the souls of these beings are from another plane of existence, where as those who prefer the term “starseed” believe that they are really from another planet, but chose to incarnate here on Earth. Some of the “starseed” believers even go as far as to claim that these people are in actuality either aliens who were switched with a human baby at birth, or that one of the real parents is an alien – usually the father – while the other is a human. No matter which theory you have heard, these people claim that they are on some kind of life mission to improve the human race, while somehow being superior to the humans that they are here to save. This sounds like a nice idea, but does the theory hold any credibility? Let’s look at the facts.
(Update: Also read my reply to the criticism of this article here: How The Indigo Child Concept Hinders Our Spiritual Advancement)
Websites such as metagifted.org outline certain traits that the so-called Indigos are supposed to posses. Some of these traits include:
- above average intelligence
- emotionally sensitive OR unable to show emotion
- feeling different from those around
- acting like “royalty” (wanting what they want, when they want it, and needing to have their way.)
- symptoms of ADHD, may be “misdiagnosed” with it
- difficulty with authority (need logical reasons for why they have to do things)
- aversion to bright light
- extreme sensitivity to pain OR apparent lack of sensitivity to pain
- extreme sensitivity to extreme temperatures
- extreme sensitivity to sound
- obsession with outer space or spiritual topics
- need to have substantial amounts alone time
- difficulty making friends and relating to “normal” children
Those are just a few of the traits that supposedly make these beings unique and superior to the rest of humanity. But wait, some of these things sound familiar. Could it be that psychologists have already identified such a condition? The traits of Indigo Children and Starseeds (I will use the term “Indigo” for both from this point on for sake of simplicity) sound a lot like symptoms of Asperger’s Syndrome.
Published in: Family