How often do you hear parents complaining that teenagers are rebellious and refuse to listen? As a teenager, how many times have you complained that your parents do not at all understand or are “control freaks?” This article is very important for teenager and parents to build better teenager- parents relationship.
The relationships between parents and teenagers have been worsened. It seems like there is a gap between them as they could hardly communicate well and their conversation always end with argument. What is wrong with this relationship? Who is a culprit behind this dilemma? Is this a reflection of our society nowadays? If so, this is a sad thing. How to overcome this problem?
Well, here are some suggestions for teenagers to have a better relationship with their parents.
- We should regard parents as great people as they brought us to this world. They should gain good respect from you.
- We have to show our parents that we are disciplined and responsible young people. To do this, we must behave responsibly. We need to act in a more mature manner when carrying out our duties.
- Obedience to parents is important. If we listen to our parents and do what they ask us to do, they will not nag us so much.
- Return home early, but do not come late at night. Parents get worried when they do not know where their children are, especially if they are out after dark. If you go home late, please inform your parents.
- Do not do things that your parents disapprove of. If your parents forbid you to do something, they usually have a reason for it.
- Sometimes, you may feel that your parents are being unreasonable. In such cases, instead of shouting back or refusing to do what they ask, it would best if you talk to them about it. That way, your parents will understand how you feel and they will have a chance to explain their side of things.
- Treat your parents as good companions. Tell them what you think. Talk to them about your problems. Your parents will be happy to offer their help.
- If you know that your parents are doing wrong things, do not shout or scold them. Explain to them in a soft tone. I am sure they are willing to accept a point of view.
- Spend at least 30 minutes to chat with your parents. This way, you may strengthen good relationships with your parents.
- Do not spoil yourself by being involved in crimes, drugs, alcohol and gambling. This will make your parents refuse to talk to you as parents feel embarrassed when they learn their children are involved in these unhealthy activities.
- Always keep in mind that parents are places for you to harbor in your life as they love you so much. In return, we should love them for their time and compassion to bring us up as a healthy person without hoping for any returns.
- If your financial situation is good, take good care of your parents’ welfare. Fulfill their basic needs according to your financial status.
- To make your parents happy, you do not have to be a great person in this world. Always visit your parents if you do not live with them. Do not abandon or leave your parents alone as they need people to talk to. Love your parents and do not betray them.
- Never say bad things towards your parents as this will hurt their feelings.
Having a good relationship with your parents is a two-way thing. If you do your part, your relationship with your parents will improve and you will have fewer arguments with them. You will then notice that your parents are more understanding towards you. We can all work together to build better teenager- parents relationship.
I’ve many comments posted here which deal mostly on the issue around the worst relationship between the parents and the teenagers, so please let me summarize my opinions here.
As a teenager, you’re always taught to say/ share anything with your parents. Even though you’ve a right to say anything, bear in mind that you must make your saying in a respectable manner and in a softened tone. Parents usually can’t tolerate with the child who yells or shout at them, or talk down to them, as this’ll definitely hurt their feelings. Often you can say a lot of things to someone if you remember to phrase it “I feel like” which I think it doesn’t mean to accuse anyone of anything, but just simply stating how you feel. No one prefers someone to point the blame at them, and perhaps the parents just don’t realize how their child feels. Normally, a wise parent wants to know how their child feels and what they think. Well, they’re some parents who could not mask her face quick enough, or read their child’s reaction quickly, and thus they may show their anger.
In any case, as a son or a daughter, we must show our respect to our parents. No matter what mistakes they have made or are making, they are the parents and I am sure they love their children. Some children are harder to relate to than others, and then there are personality conflicts and such.
As a teenager, you need to find healthy ways to let off pressure like journaling, drawing, friends (healthy ones) or sports. Teenagers go through so many different things that when they get home they may not be in the mood to deal with things on the home front. Things may take on monumental proportions because of various pressures at school, etc.
Published in: Family