Think of life without water.
Image by FreeWine via Flickr
Nature has lavished man with the best things in life, all of which she has given for free: water, air, food, sunshine, etc. Although master of science and technology, he cannot leave his ecological home . Yet, he is the number one predator of Nature who has gifted him with all that he needs to live.
I accuse man of an unpardonable crime: environmental degradation.
Think of just one thing: life without water. Water is synonymous with life. Man may survive for weeks without food, but he would perish sooner without water. The human body is sixty percent water. Man has only three thirsts: for himself , for agriculture, and for industry.
In much of Asia, Africa, and Australia and in many parts of the two Americas little rain falls. Very little of water is usable. About 97% is contained in oceans as salt water; the remaining 3% is fresh water, and of this, 2.15% is solidified in polar icecaps and glaciers. Theoretically we are left with barely 1% which can be used but which eludes humanity by being drained quickly into the sea. SCARY.
There is hardly one country where rain is evenly distributed; yet, the rich countries waste tremendous volumes of precious water daily. Urbanization has taken its toll. The intensity of land use exerts pressure on local water resources and has altered climate and surface features. Industries cause water pollution; contaminants, detergents, garbage, solid wastes have clogged our waterways , vacant lots, rivers and streams.
Even in the best-conceived environmental laws there is room for improvement. The major problem lies in implementation. Environmental degradation should be treated with the utmost seriousness. SAVE WATER. All hands are needed if we are to preserve this beautiful earth. ###
Published in: Emergency Preparation