A home fire can be very destructive in a very short time. To prevent serious injuries or even death from a fire, families should plan ahead.
Install smoke detectors and check the batteries often. Sit down with your family and devise a step-by-step procedure for evacuating the house in case of fire. Draw a sketch of every room in the house and discuss ways of escape. The more the family gets involved in the planning, the easier it’ll be to leave the burning home. Designate somebody as fire marshall. That person’s job will be to make sure everybody is out of the house and then to call the fire department.
If you have children, get them involved by making them junior fire marshals. Instruct them about fire hazards and have them search the house for potential problems.
If your home has a fire, your chances of escaping uninjured are better if you remember these rules:
- Since hot air rises, you should drop near the floor when vacating the house. Cover your mouth and nose with a dampened cloth if possible.
- If your clothes catch on fire, don’t panic. Roll around on the floor to put them out. If someone’s else’s clothes are burning, try to smother the flames with a blanket or push them to the ground and roll them around.
- When escaping, be careful with closed doors. Before opening a door, put your palm against it to feel for heat. If the door is hot, leave by another exit. If the door feels cold, open it slightly. Pass your hand into the other room. If the room air feels cool, you may enter.
- When leaving a room, close the door behind you. The less air that circulates around the house, the less the fire will be fanned.
- If you live in a tall building try to hang a sheet out the window to signal potential rescuers of your location.
- After escaping check your family for any signs of smoke inhalation. See if anybody is having trouble breathing: if so start giving artificial respiration. Fire department personnel are trained in emergency procedures. Don’t be afraid to ask them for help.
Want to earn money by writing articles, Earn and sign up now
Want to earn extra income just by reading articles, Click here
Published in: Emergency Preparation