Lot’s of milk to spare…Don’t know what to do with it. Some suggestions to help you save milk from going to waste and spoiling.
What to do with leftover Milk
1) Make homemade condensed milk: Mix together 1 cup of ground sugar with 2 cups of milk. Pour into a pan and bring to boil. Lower the flame and simmer, stirring continuously.When the quantity of the milk is reduced to half, turn off the flame. Cool and store in refrigerator.
2) Make paneer(or Indian Cottage Cheese):To one litre of warm milk add the juice of two lemons. When the milk curdles(it will take a few minutes to an hour) strain through a muslin cloth. Store covered in water in refrigerator. Paneer can be used to prepare many tasty dishes.
3) Make bread pudding: Beat together 5 whole eggs,500ml of milk, 5 heaped tablespoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla essence, and 4 slices of bread soaked in milk. Steam for half an hour.
4) Make yogurt: To 300 ml of warm milk add one or two tablespoons of yogurt, stir slightly and leave overnight. In warmer climates, the yogurt will form much faster. Make sure the milk is slightly warm when adding yogurt to it. And don’t stir too much.
5) Make a moisturising milk and rose bath. Pour 2 litres of cold milk and a few drops of rose essential oil(or any fragrance you like) into your bath tub, fill up with warm water and soak in it!
Published in: Cooking