Nothing is more annoying than a BBQ gone bad. Here are some tips on making all of your summer cookouts a success.
- When lighting a propane grill always make sure the lid is open before lighting
- Make sure your grill is a safe distance from all combustible items like wood fences or dried leaves
- Never move a grill while it is hot
- Always keep a water filled spray bottle at hand to control unwanted flare ups
- When using a charcoal grill, never add briquettes while cooking and never empty ashes while they are still hot. .
- Never store propane tanks indoors. .
- Always shut propane off before turning off controls
- Never use kitchen towels to lift foods while cooking. They hang and can easily catch fire.
Best Beef Choices For Grilling
- Rib and Rib eye steak
- T-bone steak
- Flank steak
- Sirloin steak
* Although these are the more common cuts of beef for grilling, cheaper cuts such as Blade and Sirloin tip steaks are just as delicious if properly marinated
Best Pork Cuts For Grilling
- Back or side ribs
- Shoulder or butt roast
Best Poultry For Grilling
- All parts of the chicken are good for grilling as long as they are thoroughly cooked and excess fat is removed to prevent flare ups. .
- Turkey breast
- Cornish hens
Best Lamb Cuts For Grilling
- Whole lamb leg
- Lamb chops (well trimmed)
- Lamb shoulder for Kabobs
Best Fish For Grilling
- Sea bass: Medium density fish with mild flavor
- Tuna: No need to marinate because of the natural oils it contains. .
- Halibut: Hearty and perfect for grilling
- Monkfish: Texture is like Lobster meat and is perfect cut up for and used for Kabobs
- Trout: Grill with the skin on to keep moist while cooking.
Best Vegetables For Grilling
- Potatoes: Brush ½ inch slices with olive oil and cook over med heat on grill 10-12 minutes
- Corn: Soak corn with husks on for 1 hour in cold water. Remove from water and cook on med-high grill for 30 minutes. .
- Mushrooms: Brush with olive oil and cook on medium hot grill 10-12 minutes
- Asparagus: Steam for 1-2 minutes then grill over medium heat for 8-12 minutes
- Zucchini: Cut zucchinis into 12″ strips lengthwise. Brush with olive oil and grill until they have light brown grill marks on both sides.
- Burgers can be made from any ground meat but should have a fat content of about 20% to keep them juicy. When using ground chicken or ground turkey, add a few slices of chopped up raw bacon to your burger mix.
- All burgers should be cooked until the are no longer pink in the middle.
- Use natural wood chips to give food added flavor. .
- Add liquid smoke to marinade to give foods a wood fire taste
- Always keep poultry chilled until it is ready to go on the grill
- Always cook meat thoroughly at one time. Cooking it is steps can cause bacteria to grow.
- Do not use the same platter to transport raw meat to the BBQ and then to serve it on unless it is washed. .
- Plastic cutting boards are better for meat and poultry because they are less porous.
Published in: Cooking