Cake cookies are made of a stiff dough that is spread or pressed evenly into a pan.
These are cake cookies made of a stiff dough that is spread or pressed evenly into a pan. Then they are baked, cooled slightly and cut into squares or diamonds. Sometimes a meringue or special topping is baked on the top of these cookies. Usually, the finished bars are sprinkles with confection’s sugar or topped with frosting.
Bar cookies generally have a thin, delicate crust and a rich, moist eating quality. A hard, crusty top is a sure sign the dough was over mixed. Over baking should be guarded against, as the bars will be dry and crumbly. Fudge type bars are done when the surface is dull in appearance and a slight imprint remains after touching the surface with a fingertip. Cake like bars should be baked until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the pan comes out clean. Cut into bars or squares when cooled.
So get out your favorite bar cookie recipes and bake a batch of these bar cookies. Or use the following bar cookie recipe.
- Combine ½ cup butter or margarine and 1 cup brown sugar in a saucepan; cook and stir until butter melts.
- Stir in 2 cups quick cooking oats, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Mix well.
- Pour into a greased 8×8x2 inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool; cut into bars.
- This recipe will make 24 bars.
Published in: Cooking