If you’re looking to put a personal touch to your switch plates, follow these step by step instructions to transform a dull white switch plate into a classy fixture of your home.
You’ve probably seen decorative switch plates in stores or online. They usually cost about $5-$10 and sure, that’s not that much, but you can make them yourself at home. Switch plates cost less than a dollar at Wal-Mart, so if you wanted to you could completely re-plate your house for less than $20. Here is a tutorial for how to create your own decorative switch plates.
- Plain white plastic switch plate(s)
- Spray adhesive
- Crystal Clear acrylic spray top coat
- X-Acto knife
- A favorite picture of yours
- Sand off the shiny part of the plastic switch plate so that your picture has traction and doesn’t slide off as easily.
- Crop your picture to fit around the switch plate, leaving about 14″ allowance. Place the the switch plate wrong side up in the center of your picture (also facing wrong side up). Then cut diagonally 14″ at each corner.
- Remove the switch plate and lightly coat the back of your picture with spray adhesive. Place the switch plate cover at the center of the back of the picture again and fold down the edges, making sure there are no creases. Using your X-Acto knife, cut an “X” in the center where the rectangle where the light switch goes. Fold in the triangles that the “X” cut produced. Use your knife to cut holes in the two screw holes in the switch plate. Allow the switch plate to dry completely.
- Using the Crystal Clear acrylic spray, coat both the front of the switch plate, let it dry completely, coat the back of the switch plate, let dry completely, repeat this once more and you should have a shiny, new, personalized switch plate!
There you have it! Screw in your new switch plate and immediately add a piece of yourself to your home.
Published in: Apartment Living